Reset phase Grains Day 1

I'm totally losing track of which day it is, so I'm afraid the naming on these is going a bit haywire ... O well.

Anyway. I am amazed at a thing - I have just done the coffee three days and I am not dead! In fact, not only am I not dead, but it was easy! This was not what anyone expected. I had warned my family and they were certain that if I wasn't going to die, then they certainly would, from the fallout. But no, we are all just fine. I was a bit sleepy the first day, early afternoon, but I think that was more the effect of the essay I was writing. I had a nap, finished it off, and drank some more berry tea.

But what does this mean? Does it mean my coffee addiction (that I have always freely confessed to) is not actually a thing? Does it mean that coffee doesn't affect me? Could it be that having finished the house build, moved in and gone on school holidays, my stress levels have lowered so far that I don't need coffee? (No, that can't be right, I will always need coffee) Might my cortisol be working the way it should in spite of my coffee habit? 

A disclaimer here: I have one coffee a day, two on weekends. We have a proper espresso machine at home which I thought was another one of those 'tool purchases' when my husband bought it, and if I can have one really good coffee of a day, I don't want or need to drink any more. So although I talk about my addiction, it's in terms of a constant supply, not huge amounts of it.

So, when this all finishes, I will go back to my one coffee a day, secure in the knowledge that I am drinking it because I want to, not because I have to. 

Part Two - the grains bit.

This is a bit more of a thing for me. Not so much that it will be difficult to do, but that I know already that I am better off on a low-carb regime. I already reminded myself last week (before I started the grains bit) when I had a day of gluten-free toast for breakfast and then a yummy dinner out that included sourdough bread. Not a lot, but enough to lock my entire system up (you know what I mean) for several days. And I just felt blurk after eating it too. 

It is one of those things that I am aware of as being bad for me, but that as I am not coeliac, I have just let little bits creep back in. So the challenge of this next reset phase is to be strict with myself. Which, if I am honest, is the biggest challenge of this whole thing for me really. I know that I will be better for it, and the point of this bit for me is to remind myself of what things I can eat instead, on a regular basis. This is all just as much, if not more, of a mind reset as it is a body and hormones one.

So, willpower and stubborn Taurus-ness on, I am going grain-free - probably for life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-entry day 2

Reset phase Day 1

Reset phase - completed!